THEO986Women Doctors of the Church: Fresh Wisdom from Ancient Teachers and Leaders
Unit overview and content
This unit studies each of the four women Doctors of the Church – Hildegard of Bingen, Catherine of Siena, Teresa of Avila and Thérèse of Lisieux. It considers their significance in their particular historical contexts, their theological insights and the relevance of these insights in the twenty-first century. The unit also explores the contributions these women can make to discussions about the role of women as teachers and leaders in the contemporary Church.
10 hours per week for 12 week semester, comprised of:
- At least one hour per week for online lectures.
- At least three hours per week of reading.
- At least six hours per week of directed study, including optional and assessable online activities.
Online lectures; online activities; guided reading; scaffolded assessments; feedback on assessments.
Type of Assessment and Weight
- Textual Analysis (30%)
- Tutorial Discussion Board (30%)
- Major Research Essay (40%)