REDU801Religious Education in the Contemporary Classroom
Unit overview and content
In this unit, students will be exposed to current trends in Religious Education across a variety of educational systems in Australia and internationally. The aim of the unit is to increase awareness of the many debates and curricula that characterise the field of Religious Education and how these impact on classroom practices. In studying the contemporary classroom, the unit will also consider the current context of religious and cultural pluralism, and the challenges that this presents in Religious Education contexts (in both faith-based schools and non-faith based schools).
Unit content includes:
- The contemporary context of religious education
- Australian young people, faith, spirituality and religiosity
- Towards a theory of religious education for Catholic schools
- Religious education and the importance of content knowledge
- Principles of teaching the Bible in Catholic religious education
- Teaching about Jesus Christ
- Teaching about what Catholics believe
- Teaching Church history
- Teaching the Sacraments
- Teaching about social justice
- Teaching about Mary and the women of the Bible
- Teachers’ commitments in classroom religious education
10 hours per week for 12 week semester, comprised of:
- At least one hour per week for online lectures.
- At least three hours per week of reading.
- At least six hours per week of directed study, including optional and assessable online activities.
A/Prof Kath Engebretson
Online lectures; online activities; guided reading; scaffolded assessments; feedback on assessments.
At the Institute we use a range of assessment tasks, including essays, research papers, online posts, critical reflections, projects and praxis exercises. Within a unit of study each set of assessment tasks is designed as an integral part of your learning experience. These tasks vary across units and programs. All assessment tasks are aligned to the Australian Qualifications Framework level appropriate for graduate awards.