GOVC802Structures in the Church: Canonical Perspectives
Unit overview and content
This unit will provide detailed analysis of the organisational structure of Church, with reference to relevant codes of canon law.
Initial attention is given to the obligations and rights of all the Christian faithful as described by canon law.
An understanding of the theological and canonical characteristics of the diocese, as an organisational unit of the Catholic Church, is developed.
The concept of a public juridic person is studied, in relation to a wide range of Church organisations. Students are given the opportunity to analyse a specific Church organisation through this framework, including:
- Dioceses, diocesan agencies and parishes
- Religious Institutes
- Associations of the Faithful
- Ministerial Juridic Persons and other ecclesial organisations
10 hours per week for 12 week semester, comprised of
- At least one hour per week for online lectures
- At least three hours per week of reading.
- At least six hours per week of directed study, including optional and assessable online activities.
Online lectures; online activities; guided reading; scaffolded assessments; feedback on assessments.